(a)    Death.

(1)    If a party dies and the claim is not thereby extinguished, the court may order substitution of the proper parties. The motion for substitution may be made by any party or by the successors or representatives of the deceased party and, together with the notice of hearing, must be served on all parties as provided in rule 12.080 and on persons not parties in the manner provided for the service of a summons. If a party dies while a proceeding is pending and that party’s rights survive, the court may order the substitution of the proper party on its own motion or that of any interested person.

(2)    In the event of the death of one or more of the petitioners or of one or more of the respondents in an action in which the right sought to be enforced survives only to the surviving petitioners or only against the surviving respondents, the action does not abate. The death shall be suggested on the record and the action proceeds in favor of or against the surviving parties.

(b)    Incapacity. If a party becomes incapacitated, the court may allow the action to be continued by or against that person’s representative.

(c)    Transfer of Interest. In case of any transfer of interest, the action may be continued by or against the original party, unless the court upon motion directs the person to whom the interest is transferred to be substituted in the action or joined with the original party. Service of the motion must be made as provided in subdivision (a).

(d)    Public Officers; Death or Separation from Office.

(1)    When a public officer is a party to an action in an official capacity and during its pendency dies, resigns, or otherwise ceases to hold office, the action does not abate and the officer’s successor is automatically substituted as a party. Proceedings following the substitution must be in the name of the substituted party, but any misnomer not affecting the substantial rights of the parties must be disregarded. An order of substitution may be entered at any time, but the omission to enter such an order does not affect the substitution.

(2)    When a public officer sues or is sued in an official capacity, the officer may be described as a party by the official title rather than by name but the court may require the officer’s name to be added.